Sunday, June 7, 2015

Film Log 6.07.2015

Edge of Tomorrow (2014)

Director: Doug Liman
Number of viewings: 1

Comments: Starship Troopers meets Groundhog Day. Emily Blunt gets to do her own looping. She is truly a Full Metal Badass. Exciting action choreography. Actual funny dialogue. Tom Cruise yet again plays a jerk who learns to care about other people through the love of a woman.

Being Two Isn't Easy (1962)

Director: Kon Ichikawa
Number of viewings: 1

Comments: Neither is being a parent. I am surprised. I always thought Kon Ishikawa was a far more traditional auteur, but this film combines cinema-verite, 2-D animation, stop-motion and melodrama. Watching this picture I felt like I was watching a lost Ozu film.

Strayer's Chronicle (2015)

Director: Takahisa Zeze
Number of viewings: 1

Comments: Tired of comic book movies even if they aren't based on million dollar properties. This film is clunky. Watching it I felt like I was watching the third film in a trilogy. I couldn't care any less every time a supposed main character dies. Everything about this picture is a rehash of better films. Who the hell is the strayer in the title?

No comments: